Sunday, March 11, 2012

Week 9




http://www.motowaganari.com/realvirtuality/

I chose the iconic Playboy logo for this week. Since it's inception, the design has not changed, proof of a well designed logo. The use of black and white as it's only colours is one reason as they never go out of style and convey a very bold and stylish statement. I think the use of these stark colours in contrast to bunny iconography reflects the Playboy company very well. It invokes a sense of formalism and boldness in combination with playfulness. Furthermore, the bunny itself is very simple in design, so it's very memorable. I also feel that the logo is successful due to the very company itself that it represents. Because everyone already knows what Playboy is, and what it implies, I feel that any kind of imagery could potentially work with it.

For the website, I chose a site that I'm still unsure of what it's suppose to be. However, I picked this over others due to the very slick and stylistic design. It is very minimalistic with the focus of the site being an orange line. In fact, the whole site plays with the idea of lines flying around, a theme that seems to be very popular with minimalistic designs now-a-days. I was also surprised to see orange being used as the primary colour, as most designs tend to use it minimally as a highlight. I suppose it is still used as a highlight here, but because there literally no other colour being used other than white, I would consider it a primary colour. I was also surprised to see how they opted to "create" their own social media logos. Had they incorporated the standard twitter, Facebook and google+ logos, I feel the site would be either ruined or not as effective. I also feel that it is quite a bold move as I initially did not realize that the t,f and g+ were replacement icons.

No comments:

Post a Comment