Saturday, September 12, 2009

Digital Media Lecture; First Class, First Impressions

Honestly speaking, before September 8th, I never really put any thought into what Digital Media (or any of my other courses for that matter) was about...at all! The whole time I had been anticipating my writing courses as that was the path I was wanting to venture down in the media, and I sort of neglected my other classes. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't really have an impression at all of what Digital Media was. After the lecture, boy did my thought pattern change!

I had no idea how much Digital Media encompassed. If you were to ask me what I thought it was prior to the class, I probably would've guessed that it just had to do with creating logos animation. How much deeper this course is completely flew by my head. I now realize that Digital Media is so much more. It requires creativity, the ability to find out what people want and what they don't want, and great story-telling skills...In fact, in order to succeed in this course, it seems that one would also need to be hone in the skills learned from the other RTA courses; And the other courses require one to use the skills learned in Digital Media. As such, this course is important for a student in this program to take, as all of the courses in RTA feed off of each other. What you learn in one course, may and probably will come in handy in another course.

Talk about a wake up call. I came into this program with blinders on, looking only into to screenwriting and thinking that I could just shmuck my way through everything else. However, after being slapped in the face by this lecture as well the other classes from the first week, I can say that my mind is so much more open now. I now realize that I should take all of my courses seriously, as they all tie in with each other and will give me a stronger sense of the media buisness.

-Allan Toda

No comments:

Post a Comment